*The LaFollette Housing Authority (LHA) will be accepting applications for the Housing Choice Voucher Program waiting list starting February 2, 2016. Interested individuals may obtain application forms at the Housing Choice Voucher Program Office at 809 South Fourth Street, LaFollette, TN located directly across the street from the LHA Central Office. Applications will be taken every Tuesday from 9:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Completed applications must be returned to the Housing Choice Voucher Program Office by mail, by fax, or submitted in person during normal business hours.*
Housing Choice Voucher Program
What are Housing Choice Vouchers?
The housing choice voucher program, formerly known as “Section 8”, is the federal government’s major program for assisting very low-income families, the elderly, and the disabled to rent decent, safe and sanitary housing in the open market as opposed to subsidized housing developments. Since the rental assistance is provided on behalf of the family or individual, participants are able to find and lease privately owned housing, including single-family homes, apartments and mobile homes. The participant is free to choose any housing that meets the requirements of the program. A family’s portion of the rent is based on adjusted household income and is the greater of:
- 30% of adjusted monthly income
- 10% of gross monthly income
- A minimum rent of $50.00
After the family selects a home and LHA has inspected and approved it for reasonable rent, the family will sign a lease with the owner of the selected property and will be required to pay any security deposit as designated by the lease. Any tenant provided utilities will have to be on in the head of household’s name.
Families must meet income guidelines and are selected from the waiting list based on time and date of application.
All persons 18 or older will be subject to a criminal background check. Any criminal history may result in denial of your application.
How do I apply?
Interested individuals may obtain application forms at the Housing Choice Voucher Program office located at 809 South Fourth Street, LaFollette, Tennessee 37766. Applications will be taken every Tuesday from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Completed applications must be returned to The Housing Choice Voucher Program office by mail, fax, or submitted in person during normal business hours.
When will I be notified?
After reviewing your application, if it appears that your family is eligible, your name will be placed on a waiting list. Once your name is reached on the waiting list, LHA will contact you by letter. If your family does not appear to be eligible when your application is reviewed, you will be notified by letter.
Roles of the Tenant, the Landlord, the Housing Authority
- Tenant’s Role: When a family selects a housing unit, and LHA approves it and the lease, the family signs a lease with the landlord for at least one year. The tenant may be required to pay a security deposit to the landlord. After the first year the landlord may initiate a new lease or allow the tenant to remain in the unit on a month to month lease. When the family is settled in a new home, the family is expected to comply with the lease and the program requirements, pay their share of rent on time, maintain the unit in good condition, and notify LHA of any changes in income or family composition.
- Landlord’s Role: The role of the landlord in the voucher program is to provide decent, safe, and sanitary housing to a tenant at a reasonable rent. The dwelling unit must pass the program’s housing standards and be maintained up to those standards as long as the owner receives housing assistance payments. In addition, the landlord is expected to provide the services agreed to as part of the lease signed with the tenant and the contract signed with LHA.
- LHA’s Role: LHA provides a family with the rental assistance that enables the family to seek out suitable housing and enters into a contract with the landlord to provide rental assistance payments on behalf of the family. If the family or the landlord fails to meet his/her obligations, LHA has the right to terminate assistance payments.
Tenants are responsible for paying landlord security and Utility Deposits.
Portable voucher holders who are interested in moving into Campbell, Anderson or Scott County should have the issuing agency contact the Housing Choice Voucher Program at 423-566-6183.
Housing Choice Voucher Program Contact Information
Sheila Nelson, Director of Housing Choice Voucher Program
Knoxville line: (865)523-5287