Apply for Housing
Thank you for your interest in LaFollette Housing Authority’s programs and properties. We do business in accordance with the Federal Fair Housing Law and do not discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, sex, handicap, familial status, or national origin.
The application process requires a face-to-face interview with an LHA staff member. You may come to our main office located at 802 South 4th Street in Lafollette Monday through Friday between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. to complete an application. In addition, staff members travel to LHA’s site locations each month to take applications. The current month’s schedule is:
When you come in to apply, please be prepared to provide the following information so your application can be processed and reviewed in a timely manner:
- Family Composition: You will list yourself as head of household and all members who will live in the assisted home. An adult member must have custody of all minors listed on the application. Race information is requested to comply with Equal Opportunity requirements to assure that no discrimination occurs. You will be required to provide the Social Security card and birth certificate for each family member in addition to a photo ID for all adult members.
- Current and Previous Residence Information: This includes your current physical street address and mailing address, if different; your phone number; an emergency contact or message phone number; name, complete mailing address and phone number for your current and last three (3) former landlords. It is helpful in processing your application if you provide the actual unit address along with move-in and move-out dates for these rental references.
- Family Income: Verification of all income for all family members who will be living in the assisted home. This includes but is not limited to wages, Families First, Social Security benefits, SSI, VA, disability income, child support, self-employment, unemployment compensation, retirement, and financial assistance from friends or family.
- Family Assets: This means any and all financial assets belonging to you or any member listed in your household including bank accounts (checking, savings, CD’s, money market accounts, stocks, bonds), financial interests, investments, and property (home, land).
- Criminal Background Check: A criminal background check will be conducted on all adult applicants through LaFollette Police Department and other area law enforcement agencies. Depending on the results of these background checks, applicants may be required to submit to a fingerprint check through NCIC for additional criminal history verification. HUD prohibits housing authorities from providing assisted housing to individuals who have engaged in drug-related or violent criminal activity; these and other arrests of a serious and/or repeated nature may result in denial of housing assistance. Adult members will be asked to list any and all arrests and charges, and failure to provide complete and accurate information may result in denial of assistance for fraud.
- Personal References: Please provide name, mailing address and phone number for three (3) references who are not related to you, or any member of your household, by blood or marriage.
NOTICE: Intentional misrepresentation of family composition, income, present or past rental history, family allowances and deductions, criminal history, or any other information affecting eligibility, will result in the family being declared ineligible. In the event the misrepresentation is discovered after admission to the program, the lease will be terminated for such misrepresentation. False statements are punishable under Federal and State law (T.C.A. § 39-14-104) and will result in termination of tenancy. Title 18, § 1001 of the United States Code states that a person is guilty of a felony for knowingly and willingly making a false or fraudulent statement to any department or agency of the United States.